Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

Default repairing plaster on bathroom ceiling

"caledon" wrote in message
ups.com...
I do have some durabond from a previous repair. So I should apply a
layer of the Durabond initially - directly on the lathe, then, after
that has set, apply layer(s) of drywall compound and finally texture?

thanks
janet

Janet,

You should apply the thickest layer of Durobond that you can get to stick in
place AND be below the surrounding surface. On a ceiling depending on how
dry you mix it, the area size and your skill level this might be done in 1-4
coats of Durobond (non sandable).

Thereafter you can use any sandable setting type mud (Durobond makes several
as others do) to bring the surface to level. Then you mix up a batch and
create the texture portion.

For the texture I have used all of the following at one time or another:
A shaving brush
a paint brush
a pony roller and cover
a block of wood
the kitchen broom
a sponge

Use whatever you can dab on and create a similar look. You will never
create the exact same look unless you have the same tools and the same
number of beers as the original finisher. ))

I just touched up a leak are like the one you have on a ceiling I textured
years ago. I can see the repair. No one else has been able to see it.
Your eye will be far more critical than the next person who looks at it. If
you can almost please yourself you have done a great job.

Colbyt

Colbyt