Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

Default What would be a decent set of 'loaner-tools'?

"SQLit" wrote

First keep your garage door closed.
When I traveled frequently below the border I would visit Harbor Freight
and
get a set of tools including a tool box. More than once I was
"man-handled"
into giving them the tools. My boss was pretty miffed at the concept but
when he found out what my SK or Snap On stuff cost he was elated.

We had to do an ugly transformer job a couple of year ago. The only 13/16
inch wrench that did not break was from HF. Granted the craftsman was
replaced, but when your 150 miles into the desert at a mine, broke is
broke.

I've had a lot of people say that Harbor Freight has "throw away tools" and
aren't very good for anything except light duty jobs. But I'll tell you
what:

I first heard of HF about 25 years ago and I bought a set of 16(?)
screwdrivers from them. I think back then they were less than $15 including
S&H. I have bought dozens of them since then (Stanley, Snap On, Craftsmen)
but I STILL have all of the HF ones and they are all in good shape except
for one: The set came with a big straight slot with a big handle called a
"two fister". I used it one time to bust up concrete and the handle broke in
half. Blade is still intact......