Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

Default Raising/Levelling a floor on cement

"charlesg" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am planning on raising a floor a floor on a current cement floor in a
small room (100 sq.ft). This was a porch at some point and the cement
floor has a pitch away from the house, so I plan on leveling the floor
at the same time.

Assuming my plan makes sense, I would run the furring strips away from
the house, one end would be about 1/2" thick and the other end, thick
enought to achieve a level floor (I predict no more than about 1" 1/2.
Each strip would be gun nailed in the cement every 16" or so and
plywood (1/2" thick) would be screwed on top to receive whatever finish
is decided (carpet or laminate).

My plan is to start by snapping a line around the room showing the
height of the level floor and measuring the thickness of each strip
from there.

I'm looking for general opinions on the project and tips to get it done
right? How wide a piece of wood should be used to support the plywood
floor? What's the best way to cut each piece on a angle on the full
length of the piece (about 8')?

Any other gotchas or specifics I should be worried/concerned/carfull
with?

I believe you will experience difficulty in "shooting" than many nails in
something that is not much more than a furring strip.

I just removed a floor that was 3/4 ply with 16" OC structure. It was way to
springy for the tile I am installing.

Why does an exterior floor have to be level?