Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Default Granite Tile question

I have heard that the Black Galaxy granite in particular is being now mined
from inferior nearby mines and dyed to bring it up to standard. That
particular granite has been popular for some time. I don't know if acetone
would remove the dye but acetone is a harsh cleaner for many things.

Always get a lot sample of what you are buying. The store sample may vary
quite a bit.

"nospambob" wrote in message
A post several years ago warned about using acetone if memory serves
on dark granite as it MAY be merely a dye on poorer grade stuff. Try
inconspicuous spot first.

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 09:58:05 -0600, "Don"
wrote:

I am thinking of laying granite tile on our kitchen counter top. I looked
at
a local home improvement store and the tile is about $14 per tile. We also
have a discount home improvement place called HOBO and they have a good
selection of tiles priced at $7 per tile. HOBO's tile I beleive are from
india and they look the same as the other store (thickness and shine and
beveled edge). Would I be better off spending double or is granite granite
and spending double insane?

Also, I will put tile on the backsplash up to the cabinets. Can I install
the tile diretly to the drywall or do I have to put backer board on the
backsplash also?

Thanks