Posted to rec.woodworking
TeamCasa

Default mixing red oak in with white oak?

"Suanne Lippman" wrote in message
I am building a QSWO bookcase, with a mission stain. I hate the thought of
paying for QSWO shelves when they really won't be seen anyhow. Is it
reasonable to stain red oak to fit in with white oak?
Anyone with experience care to relate what he did?

I just built a walnut bookcase. For the shelves I used red oak plywood
with a 1" strip of walnut in front. I originally intended to stain the
oak to "match" the walnut, but the contrast looked pretty good, so I went
with it. Could do the same with unstained red oak and mission QSWO. Any
comments?

Two ideas.
1st - Veneer the shelves with QSWO.
2nd - Add a 2-3" board in the front of the shelve as you did on the walnut
shelve.

Question: Mission stain, is that a fumed look? If so, I would definitely
veneer, if its a wipe on stain, either way will look fine.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com