Posted to rec.woodworking
WillR

Default mixing red oak in with white oak?

Suanne Lippman wrote:
I am building a QSWO bookcase, with a mission stain. I hate the thought of
paying for QSWO shelves when they really won't be seen anyhow. Is it
reasonable to stain red oak to fit in with white oak?
Anyone with experience care to relate what he did?

If you can match up the appearance you're a lot better than I will ever
be. :-) But maybe that's not saying much...

Get some scrap from the same project and try it... What the heck.

I just built a walnut bookcase. For the shelves I used red oak plywoodwith
a 1" strip of walnut in front. I originally intended to stain the oak to
"match" the walnut, but the contrast looked pretty good, so I went withit.
Could do the same with unstained red oak and mission QSWO. Any comments?

Done that a few times myself -- I like the contrast as well.

--
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art