Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB

Default Pineywood Race - without bogus name

Good Luck Tom.

Years ago when my 27 year old was in scouts we competed several times. One
year we produced a sleek little car that did fairly well and won a trophy
for best appearance. I was proud because he did the final shaping, sanding
and spray paint (with lots of parental support of course). That same year
we had at least two cars that were, for all practical purposes,
professionally designed and built. One in particular was developed by a
father who was an aeronautical engineer. This guy made no secret of the
fact that he had been able to slip it into the Wichita State University wind
tunnel for tests. It didn't even show well in the race.

The one that won was the most unusual car I had seen. The kid and his
mother had actually glued together a body that looked a lot like a Model-T
roadster - and pretty nice work to boot. I know they ran the wheels in with
a belt sander but they were most proud of the body. It blew away every
concept regarding wheels, weight placement, streamlining, etc. Pretty neat
to watch this young, fatherless fellow win.

RonB