Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Blanchard

Default Rogers News Groups

Doug Payne wrote:

On 19/12/2005 12:30 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Doug, could you provide some figures on costs of continuing the
Usenet feed?

It's really not so much
the purchase costs as it is the ongoing stuff. Servers are relatively
cheap, staffing is not, 24x7x365 reliability and redundancy, and
maintaining currency are not.

OK, that makes sense. Thanks for the info.

Let's face it, the Web is where it's at today. I see a lot of other
forums (fora?) moving from Usenet to Web-based things.

That's undoubtedly true. But I can get more info quicker with a
newsreader than I ever could from web-based news service.

And I belong to quite a few Yahoo mailing lists, but I get the stuff as
individual emails - I never go read them on the Yahoo site. Same
principle.

--
It's turtles, all the way down