Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve

Default Corn Furnaces make national news

Wood pellets, if stored properly, will be around 5% moisture. They must be
stored in a dry location even though they are in a plastic bag. These bag
have small holes for some reason. "Moisture Is Your " and can lay waste to a
ton over night in the back of your pickup.

I was just re-reading the bag of some Clean Burn pellets. The ash content is
1/2% from this vendor. The BTU is 8200/LB. For my house, I use about one 40#
bag for 24hrs. (40#/24=1.67LB/hr or 8200X1.67=13667BTU/hr ), FWIW.

Steve

"Dave Lyon" wrote in message

How dry is that ton of corn? Water costs, twice, you pay for of on
delivery and you pay for it in the lowered process efficiency, right?

It's supposed to be below 15%. If not, the corn will start to mold, and it
won't burn well.

There's lots of woodchips around but they're wet, too. I assume
pellets are a byproduct of some manufacturering process that has
already dried the wood.

When the wood arives at the pelletizing plant, they grind it into sawdust,
then dry it. Then make pellets.