Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve

Default Corn Furnaces make national news

Sorry to hear they are charging you so much more for pellets. I have been
getting mine from the local TrueValue hardware store for the last 3 winters.
The price for "Clean Burn" pellets have ranged from 124/ton to the present
139/ton.

I have shopped around at HomeDepot and other outlets and couldn't match the
local TrueValue price. (maybe it is because he sells a few stoves, on the
side. The Much Higher prices has been from the Stove and Fireplace store and
they often claim they don't sell by the ton or they charge more because they
deliver (and if they deliver, they want to service your stove while they are
there).

I live at near sea level and the local temp. are seldom below 25-30 degrees,
even on the coldest winter days. I also turn the stove off or down very low
at night or if I'm the only one in the house. (sweaters are cheaper than
pellets.)

I had to replace the igniter the other day and the store ask if I had a
ceramic or steal fire pot. When I told them that I still had the original
ceramic pot, they were surprised. The claimed most all the original Quadra
Fire stoves had been upgraded because of breakage or burn through of the
ceramic. My stove is one of the originals since it doesn't have the pellet
flow "gate" that was introduced later. I have added this and it helps get
the fire to run at a lower flame (too much heat and it ends up going up the
flue).

I also have a heat pump but only run the fan to help circulate the warm air
from the living room, where the stove is at.

Go to hear that someone else enjoys their Quadri Fire as much as I do.

Steve

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, Steve.
I see you have one of the old fire pots in your Quadra Fire. I had to
replace the fire pot in ours a couple of years ago. A hole finally
burned through the side after about 10 years. We are the second owner
of the place, so the time frame is approximate.

We burn up to 4 ton of wood pellets here in Central Oregon. The cost
per ton is up to $170, now. We just started on the second ton this
week. We love the pellet stove fire. With socks on, I can put my feet
on the side panel and thaw my toes!

Last nite sometime, the oil furnace died. The pump won't turn and the
thermostat hs no control of the fan. It runs continually. Had to turn
off the CB to stop the cold draft. So the pellet stove or the fireplace
is the only heat we have till the oil furnace gets repaired. No, it's
not out of oil. Been there and done that! Sure hope the electricity
doesn't go out. It's 16 degrees here in Redmond, now.

Three years ago the local farm store and Quadra Fire dealer had a BIG
tent sale. The tent and all were from Quadra Fire. When I looked in,
there were no Quadra Fire stoves. The store's answere was the factory
was completely out of stoves and had a big back log. They were all
going to the mid-west to be used with corn. Guess they finally got
cought up.

Paul