Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default Alternatives to a Septic Tank...??

On 19 Dec 2005 08:33:47 -0800, Sadly wrote:

Mike wrote:
I noticed a cottage for sale which has no septic tank and no mains. As
it stands at the moment it's not possible to get a mortgage on the
cottage due to this.

Apparently the site is too small for a septic tank to be placed in the
garden, as the garden is too small and the tank has to be placed a
certain distance from the house.

I was wondering if anyone knew any alternatives to septic tanks which
might be permitted to be placed in a garden.

It's a long shot, but just thought I'd ask...!

I think you are going to have to place it at least 15m from any
building.

If you can't manage this on your site maybe you could arrange with a
neighbour that you pay for a nice modern system (like a Klargester) big
enough for 2 houses to be installed on thier property replacing thier
existing septic tank - you may be able to pursuade them that it would
be less problematic for them (hopefully one of the neighbours has a
troublesome tank at the moment and will jump at the offer).

P.S. I expect someone like "BuildStore" would give you a mortgage on
the property as it stands.

I think that is the most positive option.

OTOH if its really isolated, approach owners of neighboring land to
purchase a bit.

I'd be more worried about lack of mains water meself.

Expect high costs anyway - the klargester is cheap, but getting round small
land purchases/legal agreements/and passing all the tests MAY not be.