Posted to uk.d-i-y
Reestit Mutton

Default 22x15mm internal reducer - how do I use it?

Ed Sirett wrote:

Reducing sets come in two flavours ( that I have so far used).

In both cases you discard (to your tool box) the 22mm olive.

In the case with the set that is made from 3 parts you put the deep part
(the bit with less than 15mm hole) in it into the 22mm fitting then you
put the 22mm back nut on to the 15mm pipe, then the shallower part then
the 15mm olive. Insert pipe into deep insert in fitting and tighten to
take up the slack should be hand tight unless the pipes are slightly
awkward. The tighten about 4-7 flats more. This should grip the plastic
pipe well unless the reducing set is not really a 22/15 unit or the
plastic pipe is not 15mm.

With the one peice reducers. These go long end into the 22mm fitting first.
These may require working harder to get a grip and they crimp the
thinnish centre section onto the plastic.

Note in both cases you probably need to treat the fitting with at least
the same "oomph" that you would to make the joint on to a 22mm pipe. A
little grease on the threads and a little sealant (eg. liquid ptfe) on the
mating surfaces may save some hassle.

Cheers Ed (and others).

In the end, I bit the bullet and took the 15mm plastic back to where it
joined a 15mm copper pipe (straight connector) and replaced the pipe
with a 22x15mm straight converter and 22mm pipe instead.

My problem was mainly one of trying not to introduce any more joints
than necessary (to minimise the risk of a leak behind a tiled wall).

As it happens it still took me many trips to many DIY outlets to solve
the problem as I needed a 22mm stop end to cap off the shower pipes
after poking them through the ply so that the tilers can do their job
BEFORE the shower is fitted. As I needed to fit these stop ends to the
chrome back nuts that came with the shower it took three different
"brands" of stop end from three different suppliers to find ones that
fitted properly.

Sheesh...and my plumber claimed it was a one hour job at the most!
That's always the way isn't it...get a tradesman to quote for a job and
it's a complicated piece of work...get the same tradesman to rebate you
for unfinished work and it's suddenly become an insignificant piece of
work (yes...we did give him his final installment before completion -
he'd done so much good work up to that point and there was so little
left to pay that we thought it wasn't worth causing an argument over -
more fool us!).

Anyway...the job's done now and I'm as pleased as punch. Thanks for your
help guys. Much appreciated.

regards,
Laurence
--
www.reestitmutton.co.uk

Bringing you the best-value mobile phone contract deals in the UK
Presented the way it should be...in plain English