Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Default Granite Tile question

"evodawg" wrote in message
news:RbBpf.6598$7f3.3412@trnddc01...
Don wrote:

I am thinking of laying granite tile on our kitchen counter top. I looked
at a local home improvement store and the tile is about $14 per tile. We
also
have a discount home improvement place called HOBO and they have a good
selection of tiles priced at $7 per tile. HOBO's tile I beleive are from
india and they look the same as the other store (thickness and shine and
beveled edge). Would I be better off spending double or is granite
granite
and spending double insane?

Also, I will put tile on the backsplash up to the cabinets. Can I install
the tile diretly to the drywall or do I have to put backer board on the
backsplash also?

Thanks

Not sure about different qualities of granite except those made in China,
don't use them. Yes you can install directly to drywall, but make sure you
use the right tile adhesive made just for granite or marble and don't buy
the cheap stuff.

Granite is granite and if it has the same name it is the same thing. Both
stores may have got it from the same distributors. You can do even better
on price at a stone tile store and have more to choose from and thay might
actually stock what you are buying (avoid that special order and wait
thing).

Nothing wrong with granite from China unless you are into protectionism.
Stone from India, pakistan, china, and the middle east are all just as
likely to be "treated" in some way (usually for color). But that is not
necessarily a bad thing. Not much is mined in the US anyway