Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Noisy Pipes

Certainly. The pipes expand and contract with changes in temperature.
And it doesn't even have to be the pipes. Perhaps something else is
moving because of the temperature and coming in contact with the pipes.

I was curious so I looked it up. Copper has a coefficient of expansion
of 9.3x10^-6 in/in per deg. F. What this means is that if the
temperature rises by one degree F, each inch of copper will expand
9.3x10^-6 inches. Steel is 7.3.

A small amount, sure, but when pipes are going from 90F days to 20F (?)
days it could be enough to move a pipe away from a 2x4 stud and allow
it to bang. On the scale of bridges and such the expansion can be
amazing.

I was astounded that CPVC pipe is 34. And ABS is 55!

Mike