Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom Horne, Electrician

Default 3-wire branch circuit

SQLit wrote:
"Larry Fishel" wrote in message
ps.com...

I know I've seen this addressed somewhere, but I'm having trouble
finding it. I'm planning to run a "3-wire branch circuit" as described
by the NEC, out to a shed, one groundED wire and two hots from opposite
legs of the service (and of course a groundING wire), individual wires
through conduit, not cable. Should the two hot wires be different
colors to distingush the two "phases", make sure noone in the future
hooks them together and to indicate the 240 volt potential? I see where
that is specifically required for a 240 volt circuit (running 240 volt
equipment) and it's commonly done with 3 wire CABLE, but no mention of
what to do with a 3-wire circuit through conduit. Red, black, white
(and green) sounds like the reasonable thing to do, but I want to make
sure it doesn't violate some obscure rule I'm missing...

There is no color code in the NEC for ungrounded conductors (hots). I have
tried a couple of times but they refuse to hear my petition.

Motorola used black-red-blue for 277/480v and brown, yellow and orange for
120/208v. Which is backward from what most of us use.

I worked for a utility once that used red, white and blue for their phase
marking. Now that was confusing.

Do what you want make sure that the wire is big enough for the load at that
distance.

I know that this may sound like a petty quibble but since this forum is
world wide is is worth saying that under the US National Electric Code
there is one color code for ungrounded conductors. Most of us do not
have to deal with it but it is still present in some services. Three
phase delta 240 volt wiring with one phase center tapped to provide 120
volts must have the conductor with the higher voltage to ground coded
orange. Also some local codes do have a color code in them. The
District of Columbia being one example.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison