Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Shuman

Default NTC 5D-9 Thermistor?

Have you traced the circuit and know for certain they are in the line and
neutral sides of the primary? Could they be in series or parallel in the
same line side feed? What are the values of the two components? Obviously
from the photo one is much larger so I would assume will be for higher
current/power, but possibly the thermal constants could be different and the
combination in parallel may give a better in rush current curve or possibly
protect against the problem I saw with the single under-designed device. I
guess I am just wondering if the second part wasn't a "fix" to a known
design problem

Bob

"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
.. .
larry moe 'n curly wrote:
Here's a photo:

http://static.flickr.com/42/75028029_3a711a4666.jpg

I'm pretty sure that the two black things are thermistors because
they're labelled NTC1 and NTC2 The RF filter is in back of them in
the photo.

I'm pretty sure you are right. It is likely they are to provide two
different NTC inrush curves - I suppose we'd have to ask the designer
what s/he had in mind. Sounds like overkill to moi, or maybe they got a
'two for one' deal on the thermistors.