Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Default Are MLCS or Katana router bits on a par with Amana, CMT, Bosch...?

evodawg wrote:

David wrote:

Recently received a catalog from MLCS. There's some bits I'm considering
purchasing from MLCS that I don't believe are available in my usual
brands (CMT, Freud, and Bosch).

I've had bad luck with Woodline and Viper.

Dave

I have had great luck with them. I also own one of their plunge routers 3
1/4 horse I believe which I have mounted in a table with a router razor,
works great with no complaints. I would not touch Woodline with a ten foot
pole.
I remember meeting this guy at a wood show and in one hand he had woodline
router bits and in the other Forrest saw blade. I had to stop and ask him
of the contrast in quality he was carrying? I said you bought the best
blade on the market but the worst router bits. Before he left he brought
back the router bits.

Rich

I agree Rich, the Woodline has so far been the most inferior brand of
bit I've gotten ahold of. I wouldn't wish them on anyone. they leave
ragged edges, and it's hard to push them through the wood. I have one
Bosch bit of the same size as one of the Woodlines; it goes through the
same wood with about 1/2 the effort and it leaves a much neater edge.

I had 2 Viper bits in a row (purchased over a year apart), that wobbled
noticeably. I've since gambled on a third Viper bit, a small core box,
which seems so far, to be usable.

For some inexplicable reason, ONE regular poster here has admitted he
likes Woodline bits. I can't for the life of me understand that, as he
is undoubtedly a more accomplished woodworker than myself. My guess is
that he's purchased vastly different bits than the ones I got from
Woodline and he owns no other mfgr's identical bits to compare them to.

Dave