Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
MKnott

Default recommendations for a digital camera that excels at closeups?

Grant Erwin wrote:
I often want to shoot a picture of some detail just to post it as an
adjunct to a discussion, as "a picture is worth a thousand words". I
have terrible trouble shooting closeups with digital cameras. I have
finally found the method that yields the best results:

use minimum aperture for max depth of field (f2.8)
no flash
macro mode
manually adjust exposure
autofocus takes a long time, wait until macro focus lights
shoot multiple images - bracket exposures
use LCD display to adjust exposure, focus

but it's still pretty miserable. I want to know if there exist any
digital cameras in the under $200 price range which can actually shoot
closeups. I don't care about much else, as the cameras we have now can
handle other jobs.

I'm looking for precise model suggestions from actual owners, NOT
general suggestions like "nikon rocks" or "have you tried sony" or
"google on reviews". There are about a trillion review sites but it's a
whole boatload of work to sort through them all and I'm hoping one of
you has a camera, knows what I'm talking about, likes their camera,
knows it's still currently available, and is willing to post the exact
model number.

Thanks!

GWE

Grant, I think you have your minimum aperture and depth of field
reversed. You should be shooting at maximum aperture for greatest depth
of field.
Michael