Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default recommendations for a digital camera that excels at closeups?

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 09:24:16 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

I often want to shoot a picture of some detail just to post it as an adjunct to
a discussion, as "a picture is worth a thousand words". I have terrible trouble
shooting closeups with digital cameras. I have finally found the method that
yields the best results:

use minimum aperture for max depth of field (f2.8)
no flash
macro mode
manually adjust exposure
autofocus takes a long time, wait until macro focus lights
shoot multiple images - bracket exposures
use LCD display to adjust exposure, focus

but it's still pretty miserable. I want to know if there exist any digital
cameras in the under $200 price range which can actually shoot closeups. I don't
care about much else, as the cameras we have now can handle other jobs.

I'm looking for precise model suggestions from actual owners, NOT general
suggestions like "nikon rocks" or "have you tried sony" or "google on reviews".
There are about a trillion review sites but it's a whole boatload of work to
sort through them all and I'm hoping one of you has a camera, knows what I'm
talking about, likes their camera, knows it's still currently available, and is
willing to post the exact model number.

Thanks!

GWE

See if you can find a Nikon Coolpix 950 or 990 on EBay or a camera
store. They are excellent at macro work at distances as small as an
inch or so. These are no longer in production. I recently saw one
on EBay but quit bidding at $150; don't know what it went for.

The Olympus C-2500L single-lens reflex also does OK, but it's not as
good as the Nikons mentioned. That's what I have. This one is also
out of production, has been for a while. Good used cameras do turn
up as folks want the latest and greatest with more megapixels.

Neither of these are high-res cameras by today's standards, but they
get the job done. I think the Nikon 990 was 3.3 megapixels or so,
the Oly is 2.5 megapixels. Guy Lautard does a lot of nice macro work
for his books with the Nikon 990. Fitch says his works well with a
microscope too.

I didn't like the Nikon when I was camera shopping because it looked
fragile and flimsy -- not like a Nikon! But it was/is an excellent
choice for macro work and was/is a pretty good camera in general.

Current production: very pricey, but those that use interchangable
lenses would accept extension tubes like a 35mm camera. Extension
tubes work very well. I've done a lot of macro work with a Canon A-1
(35mm film) , extension tubes and the standard 50mm lens.

Illumination for good macro work can be a challenge. Some hints:

1: wrap the flash head in a couple of thicknesses of white cloth,
like a handkerchief. That'll reduce it's output some and diffuse it a
bit.

2: Hold a piece of white paper above and slightly behind the work to
reflect the flash and provide some top and back lighting to fill in
shadows.

3: The best setup: use an aux flash meant for use with the camera,
point it up at an aluminized umbrella -- available at photo stores for
about $30. That really works well! That's how the pro's do a lot
of macro work. Some, e.g. dentists, use a ring strobe that
surrounds the lens. (Pricey)