Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dundonald

Default Part P question

Tim,

Tim S wrote:
On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 15:09:31 -0800, Dundonald wrote:

Had a bathroom installed (by B&Q), they didn't install any electrics,
i.e. no lights and shower did not require a pump, but they did install
a tin bath that was earthed to pipework. Is certification required?

Thanks

I'm reading this as "earthed by a bit of green/yellow wire fixed to
a point on the bath and connected to a strap on one or more pipes where
B&Q men connected said wire themselves". Yes/no?

Correct. B&Q installers did *eventually* fit like that. Green /
yellow wire was taken from the loop on the tin bath down to metal
pipework supplying the said tin bath.

If I'm reading your post correctly, then yes, technically supplementary
cross bonding (not necessarily earthed, that depends on other factors)
is covered by Part P *in special locations*, your bathroom being a special
location. It's clearly stated in the Part P document on the ODPM's website.

Thanks very much, I'll take a look at the ODPM's site and hopefully pin
point that exact piece of regulation.

Assuming the fitters were Part P scheme registered, I assume they should
have left you some paperwork. If they weren't, then technically a Building
Notice is required, which is ludicrous to my mind (100 quid to fit a
bath?), but if you want to torture B&Q, then it's a valid point. You'll
serve to highlight the silliness in some of Blair's and Fatman John's new
fangled micro-regulations while you're at it.

I very much doubt the plumber that B&Q sent around to install the bath
would be Part P registered, especially after the silly mistake he
almost made by taking the green/yellow cable from the metal leg on the
tin bath that was protected by a plastic sheaf. Nor have I been
advised that a Building Notice is required or is in progress.

You could ask over he

http://www.iee.org/Forums/forum/cate...205&entercat=y

Lots of sparks and engineers, someone should be able to tell you what you
should have received and debate the issue at length.

HTH

Tim

Thanks for your help Tim, very helpful.