Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick

Default Alternatives to a Septic Tank...??

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 17:36:21 GMT, Rick wrote:

On 19 Dec 2005 09:09:45 -0800, "Mike"
wrote:

Thanks Rick

How far is your packaged sewage treatment works located from your house?

either 4m or 6m, we only used 1 bit of underground soil pipe from the
house to the unit, its somewhat neerer the old granry / pigsty.

Here are some pictures (later down the page)
http://www.pen-y-geulan.com/diy/ivor.html

Everyone recommends the kargester, whih IMHO is an expensive thing.
Mine was 3K, we fitted the tank (cost less than 1K), did all the
groundworks etc, the people that made it (APCO), then come and check
it all out, and fit the gubbins in the middle. You can use any tank
you like, I got mine from APCO.

We backfilled with a dry mix concrete.

We pump out every year.

We got a consent to discharge, directly from the tank, via 250m of
pipe into the river in the pictures. The people of chester &
birkenhead then pump the water out the river & drink it.

Rick

Also you may remember the grand designs, white cube on the coast, they
got their sewage system in the garden, just uder a sea wall, so that a
second example of the 15m being a bendable guidline rather than a rock
solid rule.