nic

Default End mill holder vs collett

I've used both of them, and find that the end mill holders are great when
you are using cutters with "weldon" flats on them. I'm sure if you want to
grind a flat on all of your end mills then the holder will work fine. I am
kinda cheap and find that you can buy double-end end mills for lesss than
you can buy single-end end mills and they are usually too long to fit in the
collet type holders.
I can't really comment on the accuracy, they have both performed adequately
for me.

"Keith Marshall" wrote in message
.com...
BTW the mill is the mini-bench top unit sold by Harbor Freight. I made

the
"Mistake" of dropping in on the store in South Carolina :-)

I seem to recall a friend telling me they have an outlet/surplus store
somewhere in SC. Is that the one you're talking about and if so would you
mind telling me where it is?

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"The universe is full of magical things,
patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper."
-Eden Phillpotts, A Shadow Passes, 1934
"Bradford Chaucer" wrote in message
I just acquired am benchtop vertical mill that takes R8 colletts. It

comes
with a drill chuck which I know is not advised for milling. I have seen
sets of both R8 colletts and R8 endmill holders. The difference as I see

it
is that the endmill holder protrudes from the end of the sleeve more

than
the collett does and it has a set screw for clamping on the flat on an

end
mill.
My question is whether a collett is sufficient for holding endmills or

am
advised to opt for the end mill holders??

BTW the mill is the mini-bench top unit sold by Harbor Freight. I made

the
"Mistake" of dropping in on the store in South Carolina :-)
Anyone have any comments or suggestions for improving tweaking this unit
(aside from you shouldn't have bought it!!)