Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Nie

Default Segmented/Stave Lighthouse...

Kevin,
That is a truly special project. The design is way cool and obviously the
craftsmanship outstanding. Thanks for sharing.

TomNie

"Kevin Miller" wrote in message
Just posted my latest in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking and also on my
web site in http://www.alaska.net/~atftb/lighthouse. I've been working on
it now and again for over a year! Easily sidetracked I guess. g

It's about 28" high, give or take. Woods used a

Yellow cedar burl: base
chakte kok (redheart)
cherry
cocobolo
mahagony
purpleheart
maple
walnut
coffee grounds/CA glue (decorative strip in the top)
1/8" brass rod

I finished it with Formby's Tung Oil Finish

Going to sit on it for the winter, probably take it down to the store I
sell through next summer. I'm already thinking/planning the next one.

The fixture is rated to 75 watts, but I only put a 5 watt nightlight bulb
in it. I tried a 25 watt candleabra bulb, which didn't seem to be a
problem, but there's virtualy no heat with the nightlight bulb. It's more
a romance light than a reading light anyway, so brightness isn't
mandatory.

Enjoy...

...Kevin
--