Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Payne

Default Rogers News Groups

On 19/12/2005 9:11 AM, Robert Bonomi wrote:

for a consumer ISP, 'HTTP' (including 'HTTPS') traffic constitutes the
*overwhelming* majority of the bytes that go through their network.
"Overwhelming", meaning on the order of 90%, _or_higher_.

We *are* a bunch of dinosaurs!

Yep, you're absolutely right. I'm a network guy at a large Canadian
university, where Usenet news has been a part of the culture for as long
as Usenet has existed. It's still used internally for some course work.
We've always supported our own server(s). But usage measured through our
Internet-facing network connections is nowadays dominated by "Web". 52%
of it is http/https, and that's been steadily increasing over the past
10 years. By contrast, Usenet news traffic has gone from 16% of our
total Internet bandwidth consumption in 1996, to almost unnoticeable
today at about 0.3%. I'm not defending Rogers' actions, but we are now
at the point where we will almost certainly abandon our Usenet feed in a
year or two. Kinda sad for the oldtimers (like me) but virtually nobody
will even notice, especially not the 'kids', who are the prime consumers
of Internet services these days. What matters to them is quick'n easy
music/video downloads, instant messaging among their friends, and free
long-distance telephony. I'm *still* tying to train mine to buy me stuff
at Lee Valley online :-)