Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe AutoDrill

Default Drilling: MDF vs Other Woods

Bruce,

Thanks for the info...

The other guys didn't mention it, but there's a big difference between
grades of MDF. The heavy "standard" high-formaldahyde MDF drills and
machines quite nicely. A sharp brad point bit will drill cleanly.

However the modern, lighter weight, environmentally friendly grades of
MDF can be really frustrating to drill. They have a hard
paper-thickness surface, but everything in the middle is soft, stringy
mush. A drill bit will rip out big chunks, flare up a cone on the top
surface, and punch an ugly hole out the back. I'm not sure what the
best approach is.

Do they still offer both kinds for sale? Most, if not all of my customers
would be using brand new product in production-type settings.

We build in a "feed control" that keeps the drill plunging into the work at
a steady pace. In other words, it does not mushroom out the back as easily
because there is a steady feed from entry to exit. Do you think it would
still "cone" on entry with this? Think of it as a machining center rathe
than a drill if that helps... Something that can be roughly programmed to
stroke the drill at 1" per second or 1" per minute regardless of RPM or hole
size.

So if someone is asking for a setup to drill MDF, make sure you know
what type they mean, and run some tests on it.

Great info and advice. Thank you. What flavor coffee would you like should
we ever meet? g
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.