Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Default Lubricant

David wrote:
Bill,

The slot drill I think is also called a 2-fluted end mill ?

It has straight side and a small diameter thread at the top (around 5mm).

I found a tapered "thingy" with the unit that I presume is the cutting
toll arbor. It has a long thin taper, a flange near 1 end with 2 slots
cut in it and a large threaded hole in one end (maybe about 10-12mm
diameter).

That sorta sounds like a MT3 collet.
Do you know what your spindle taper is?
Likely it's R8 or MT3.

It looks like the entire tappered fitting in the machine now would need
to come out in order to get this one in. (tie. not just the drill chuck).

Yes, the drill chuck arbor is but one of the possible items that are
used in the spindle. The others include things like collets (most
common), slitting saw, flycutter, and boring head.

Does this sound right ? I like to know I'm on the right track before I
start hitting things with hammers.

Yes, do as others have mentioned - back of the uppermost nut a few
turns, pop it with a soft hammer, and remove the drill chuck arbor. Once
you do that a lot of the above will make more sense.

Rex B