Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab

Default Lubricant

David,

The slot drill I think is also called a 2-fluted end mill ?

Probably, but I am not sure whether they are one in the same, or whether
one is a specialized form of the other. Whatever it is, if you put
transverse loads on it, don't hold it in a chuck.

It has straight side and a small diameter thread at the top (around 5mm).

I found a tapered "thingy" with the unit that I presume is the cutting
toll arbor. It has a long thin taper, a flange near 1 end with 2 slots
cut in it and a large threaded hole in one end (maybe about 10-12mm
diameter).

You're losing me a bit. Try

http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_mill/...er_mill_p3.htm

and scroll down to Collets and Adaptors - anything look familiar? Note
the two collets and the endmill adpator have a common structure on the
top (facing away from you in the pictures). That's the part that goes
in spindle. Here's a boring head:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../e2/1836-1.jpg

Again, note the job-specific stuff on one end and the R8 shank on the other.

When you say straight side and threads, are you talking about the R8
shank or the "business end"?

If this is correct, I suppose the Collect acts as an adapter to screw
into this thread and holed the smaller diameter mill bit.

I think that's right. The collet goes in the spindle, and as the draw
bar pulls it up, it squeezes the endmill to hold it.

It looks like the entire tappered fitting in the machine now would need
to come out in order to get this one in. (tie. not just the drill chuck).

Does this sound right ? I like to know I'm on the right track before I
start hitting things with hammers.

It sounds as though your machine shipped with an arbor in the spindle,
which makes sense to protect the drawbar. If there is an adaptor of
some sort in there, you will need to remove it to mount other tools.
Sorry to be vague, but I do not want to say yes too easily and end up
giving you bad info.

When in doubt, try to find a picture on the web, or post one and give us
a link. A picture is worth a thousand words, it might also save you a
thousand dollars

Bill