Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

Default Corn Furnaces make national news

"Dave Lyon" wrote in message

No they don't. Corn stoves are not like normal wood stoves. Most burn

at
around 85% efficiency.

How do they burn at such a high efficiency, Dave? I've never looked into
those things.

--
Ed Huntress

They are a sealed unit. They don't use a traditional chimney, so you're

not
wasting all that heat up your flue. Instead, they use a blower that

controls
the amount of air that is introduced into the fire. Then, the waste gasses
are blown out through a vent in the wall. They also have a series of tubes
inside the burn box that air is blown through to transfer the heat to the
house.

Forcing air into the burn box makes for a very hot flame. My stove has
"fingers" that stir the corn while it's burning that are made from 1/2"

cold
rolled steel. When my stove is on it's highest setting, those fingers glow
red. I get 55,000 btu from a burn box about the size of a half loaf of
bread.

That's interesting. I'll have to take a look sometime. The exhaust sounds
like some of the modern gas furnaces. And stirring the corn sounds almost
like burning in a fuidized bed. Does the air blow through the burning corn,
or over it?

--
Ed Huntress