Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

Default Oil-fired Worcester Danesmoor 15-19 Boiler

"John Anderton" wrote in message
On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 16:44:18 +0000 (UTC), "Graham Dean"
wrote:

I have an intermittent fault on an oil-fired boiler - 2 to 4 times a day
the
boiler will 'lockout' - a safety feature should the flame fail or ignition
fail to give satisfactory start. A visiting engineer has replaced the
motor
as he thought the bearings were noisey and perhaps were 'sticking' when
they
got hot - this has not solved the problem... He's now stuck as he couldn't
get the fault to replicate whilst he was here - obviously, now he's gone,
it
happens - though as I say, on an intermittent basis.

There's a reset button inside - which works everytime to restart it... -
but
clearly this is not good as I like the idea of automatic central
heating...

Anybody with experience of this type of boiler here who can give any
advice
/ pointer where to start looking?

Could be a number of things. If I remember correctly, the last time
this happened to me, it turned out the nozzle had got bunged up but
I'd hope that would have been one of the first things your engineer
would have checked.

Oddly enough, before I found my current boiler company (who know what
they're doing) I had a visit from a freelance engineer who also
thought the pump was faulty and replaced it with no improvement.
Coincidence ? (You're not in South Dorset, are you ?)

One of the commonest causes of these long/variable period lockouts is a
failing solenoid coil of the oil pump. Is yours a Danfoss oil pump by any
chance?