Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

Default 22x15mm internal reducer - how do I use it?

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 01:50:56 +0000, Reestit Mutton
wrote:

| Hi Guys,
|
| After mucking me around for six weeks, my plumber has finally let me
| down for the final time and left me with a thermostatic mixer shower to
| install myself.
|
| There are 15mm hot & cold shower tails behind the bath which I need to
| step up to 22mm as this is the size of the shower inlet.
|
| I'm using compression joints and I've been told that I need to use a
| 22mm joint with a 22x15mm internal reducer. I have all this stuff and
| there is only one way that the internal reducer will fit into the joint
| and that is if I throw away the olive that comes with the joint.
| Everything seems to fit snugly but, when everything is tightened, the
| 15mm pipe is not gripped tightly. i.e. I can pull it out of the joint
| with my fingers.

Before fitting a compression joint the copper pipe must be perfectly
round, smooth and burr free. Take any flash caused by cutting the
pipe off with a file. Check that there are no dents in that bit of
the pipe. Remove any crud/paint/anything off the surface of the pipe
with steel wool. When the end of the pipe feels like a baby's bum
everything will fit together perfectly.

Then tighten the joint *very* *tight*
..
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Sick of Premium SMS scams,
SMS marketing, Direct marketing phone calls, Silent phone calls?