Thread: Shower probs
View Single Post
  #1   Report Post  

Default Shower probs

Went to try and help my elderly grandmother with her leaking shower the other day. The hose has split - so that was an easy fix but when I turned it one again the pump didnt start up and the flow was like a dribble.
She has an Aqualisa thermostatic mixer connected to a pump and usual hot water/cold water tanks. She lives on the ground floor of a block of flates and the pump is only a foot or so below the hot water tank and about 6 feet below the head of the shower.
She told me then that for the last few years she has has to shake the shower head in her hand about 20 times before the pump kicked-in and the water flowed sensibly. When I did the same, sure enough the water flowed and gave a nice shower flow.
Why is this - is it a case of the valve being lime-scaled-up or is it something less sinsiter. When I told her a new valve would be c. £175 plus the re-tiling etc etc she was very worried (I will pay as she doesn't have the cash - so now I;m worried)) plus the fact that the tiles were installed by the previous resident (approx 12 years ago) and there are no spares.
The valve is fitted in the void in between the airing cupboard and bathroom (adjoining rooms) so I can not see what's going on.
Can anyone suggest any remedial action or is it a case of ripping out and starting again???