Posted to misc.consumers.house
Paul Pluzhnikov

Default car insurance

Joshua Putnam writes:

if you don't have any assets then don't worry about it because there's
nothing to lose.

You'd want to consider reasonable future income expectations, too.
If you're just about done with your residency as a neurosurgeon, you
might have plenty of debt and not many assets right this minute, but
you still have enough future income to be a tempting target.

What about non-neurosurgeons?

Assume I am at fault in an accident, and the other guy has $500K
in medical expenses, and I have a $30K (minimum required) liability
insurance.

Couldn't he get the court to garnish my wages, effectively cutting
my salary in half [1] for the rest of my life?

[1] I know there is a limit of 25% of disposable income, but taking
25% of disposable income from someone in 35% income bracket and 10%
state income tax does effectively halve ones' salary.
Remove /-nsp/ for email.