Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K

Default Air conditioner cover

John Public wrote:
Just bought a cover for the winter. Then my mother tells me she heard you
should never cover it up, that it traps moisture. It says it prevents
moisture buildup, rust, etc.
Come to think of it, I've never seen any other air conditioners covered. Is
this a gimmick? Any opinions will be appreciated.
Thanks.

I made a mini gable roof using plywood scraps and left-over shingles to
cover it. Looks good, keeps leaves and other things out during the off
season. The point about allowing for air circulation didn't occur to
me when I built it. I will be putting some holes in the gable ends.

Harry K