Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Kitchen Vent / Roof Issues

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 11:36:22 -0500, PHPguy wrote:

I want to add a roof type kitchen vent. I have a GE NoiseMaker microwave

"Noisemaker"? You're kidding, right?

2. a hole in the roof directly (about 10 feet) above the ceiling. Roof
is 5/8ich plywood with roofing felt with standard 3-tab asphalt
shingles. Here a vent has to be installed with damper.

Can anyone provide some tips for the 2nd step to prevent leaking after
the vent is installed. Any links to good damper and flashing systems.
Any instruction of how to cut the shngles and any overlapping methods
for the flashing on the vent. Any glues and caulks?

When I put in my roof fan, I followed the instructions that came with
it. It said to cut a hole in the shingles and paper and drill a hole
in the plywood, and gave a template, the same template for each cut,
bigger than the hole you would need.

Then it had me take the fan, with housing and flashing attached, and
slide it up under the shingles that were above the center line of the
fan. (I guess I had to take out a couple roofing nails.

The lower half of the fan went atop the shingles, and I suppose I put
in a few roofing nails and covered the heads with "black tar" caulk.
Maybe I caulked beside the edges as well.

Now I do have some mist on the floor in the attic when it rains, but
you won't. I have mist when the rain hits the roof and bounces into
the screen that is part of the fan housing. Some of it goes through
the holes, or hits the screen and part of that splatters inside. It'
s barely moist inside. But you won't have a screen.

I can't find the instructions right now, but I would just see what
fans for sale in the store now say.

THis vill be done by a contractor.. he is good but he does not have
experience with cutting through the roof and making a vent hole or
hanlding shingles. But with enough care and reading I am sure we can do it.

Its hard to find contractors here that will just handle this as oppsed
to redoing the wole kitchen.

Any help appreciated!!

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.