Posted to alt.home.repair
Keith

Default Septic Frozen?

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 21:47:32 +0000, George E. Cawthon wrote:

Grandpa Dan wrote:
Cubby,
I don't know where you are living but frost doesn't go any lower than approx
20 inches in the ground. In cases where there is no snow, frost may go as
much as 36''.

I'm not going to comment about the sewer problem
except it is most likely a plugged field. The OP
should have done something about it the first
time. It is unlikely to be frozen, but to address
your comments on freezing depths.

Your information on freezing depths is not
correct. Although fairly unusual, frost depths
can go to 6 feet and did so in 1990 near here.
Frost depths of 4-5 feet are fairly common at
elevations of 5000 or more.

The frost line has gone down as low as 7' here (NW Vermont) in the
mid-'90s. All sorts of water mains broke. Frost down to four feet is an
annual event.

In 1990 the frost line in a town about 50 miles
away went to 6 feet and caused a lot of headaches.
Four feet deep is not uncommon for a frost
depth. The county extension office or a city building permit agency
will information on the frost depth is in your area. People that live
in the lowlands tend to think everyone experiences the same conditions.

True, but even low-lands get cold. We're at about 1-300' above MSL. ;-)

--
Keith