Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael Strickland

Default Septic Frozen?

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 14:23:30 -0700, James \"Cubby\" Culbertson wrote:

An update on my situation. I went ahead and lifted the lid off the septic
tank. It's full right to the top. If I'm not mistaken, I should have a
foot or so of air space in there correct? Being completely full like this
would indicate a problem with the septic's drain lines (either clogged,
frozen, etc...). Is that correct? I have no trees in the area so it's

Yes, there should be some air space, don't recall the exact amount but a foot
or so as you say. My bet would be drainfield problems, either a clog in the
line, or clogged soil in the field - can't imagine a 12 year old system that
has the field freeze with temps you mentioned earlier, municipality wouldn't
pass inspection on such a field.

probably internal to the lines themselves. So what do I do? I suppose I
need to call someone out to confirm my diagnosis and I suppose it'll turn
into digging up the yard to put in new drain lines. What a mess and only a
week from Christmas.....

Bad timing sure enough - need to get someone out to figure out exactly what's
going on.

You may have taken the best of care of the system since you've had it -
doesn't mean the previous owners did...

Later, Mike
(substitute strickland in the obvious location to reply directly)

Please send all email as text - HTML is too hard to decipher as text.