Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

Default How to remove ball bearings?

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 22:52:56 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

snipped a bunch

Thanks for the information on the two types. I
wonder if they switched from the standard
bearing/shaft type to the Contractor II type
because of safety, maintenance, and guarantee
concerns or if they just wanted to make more money
by selling the whole unit.

No, the Contractor Saw II was a lower cost unit to try to hit a
specific price point and still offer a solid unit with 1.5 hp
induction motor cast iron table and good sound guts, with a couple of
nice fence options. The design of the arbor assembly was that way to
keep the initial cost of manufacture down. There was no intent to run
up the service revenue with the design. The original Contractor was
still being built when the contractor II was introduced and in fact
has out lived it. The Contractor II was discontinued about 8-10 years
ago.

Frank

I have to ask, did
Ford make this part for them? I would guess
so from experience with parts designs on my Fords.

Btw, I just replaced the original battery on my
1994 Explorer. The cable positive side nut was
1/2" and the negative side nut was 12mm. Who
would design that?