Ed Huntress

Default What is the future of manufacturing?

"Peter Reilley" wrote in message

"Blind faith in innovation" is all that we have. America, more than

anyone
else, has "blind faith in the future". What are you suggesting? 5 year
plans?

The end to blind faith, and the beginning of rationality in international
trade.

After he left his position, after a decade of pushing "free trade" and
NAFTA, Mickey Kantor, the former U.S. Trade Representative, finally told it
like it is and said "there is no free trade." After roughly nine months of
intensive study and interviews with many experts, it's obvious to me that
he's right.

There is no question of whether there will be protectionism. We, and every
other country in the world, are in it up to our ears. The only question is
what kind there will be, and whether it will further our interests or impale
us on a sword of mindless ideology.

I'm not falling on any swords, and I'm not buying the free-trade crap from
the ideologues. As for what I'm suggesting, it's whatever will enable our
economy to maintain its strength and our society to maintain its
middle-class, democratic core. I'll consider all practical suggestions.

--
Ed Huntress
(remove "3" from email address for email reply)