Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David

Default Lubricant

Bill,

Good thing you told me about the end mills (slot drills), I would have
put then straight into the chuck. I think there is an Arbour that came
with the machine, I'll see if I can use this with the slot drills I have.

To change the chuck over to the arbour I assume you loosen off the bolt
up in the motor pulley and give the shaft a tap ? (this is my
interpretation of the pseudo English instructions that came with the
machine). When I put the chuck on, I just tapped it on the tapered shaft
with a rubber mallet. I assume this is wrong and I should
have loosened the nut on top of the tapper, press the chuck onto it and
then tightened the nut ?

If this is how it should be done, do I need to loosen the belts first ?

Thanks heaps for all the assistance, I appreciate it.

Bill Schwab wrote:
David,

You are right, I think the machine is a 31. The booklet has specs for
31 and 25 but the 25 has smaller motor.

My specialty is RF and data communications equipment and have no
previous experience with a milling machine.

I'm really not too terribly far ahead of you - in years using machines
yes, but in hours on a machine, no.

I bought the machine to enable milling slots in small runs (usually
1-5 off) of enclosures for prototypes of our products. (small aluminum
end plates 2mm thick and small ABS plastic enclosures)

Two things spring to mind: never hold endmills in a drill chuck, and
learn about clamps and your vise. You have found a great source of help
in this group.

So far I have wiped the grease off the table using degreaser and sprayed
some CRC on it.

I can see a small hole in the winder as you mention and also see
grease on the threads used for winding the table.

Do I put that machine oil on the table (sliding part) and the winders
and leave the grease on the threads ?

When you say "winders", do you mean the ball oil ports near the dials?
If so, I think that's pretty much the idea unless we hear otherwise. As
far as oiling the table itself, by all means, put some oil on the ways
anywhere there is metal/metal contact; a small brush is probably your
best bet.

Bill

--

Kind Regards

David Huisman
General Manager
ORBIT COMMUNICATIONS Pty Ltd - Wireless Solutions that Work
(Telemetry, Control, Monitoring, Security, HVAC ...)
A.C.N. 107 441 869

Website : http://www.orbitcoms.com
PO Box 4474 Lakehaven
NSW 2263, AUSTRALIA