Posted to uk.d-i-y
Reestit Mutton

Default 22x15mm internal reducer - how do I use it?

Hi Guys,

After mucking me around for six weeks, my plumber has finally let me
down for the final time and left me with a thermostatic mixer shower to
install myself.

There are 15mm hot & cold shower tails behind the bath which I need to
step up to 22mm as this is the size of the shower inlet.

I'm using compression joints and I've been told that I need to use a
22mm joint with a 22x15mm internal reducer. I have all this stuff and
there is only one way that the internal reducer will fit into the joint
and that is if I throw away the olive that comes with the joint.
Everything seems to fit snugly but, when everything is tightened, the
15mm pipe is not gripped tightly. i.e. I can pull it out of the joint
with my fingers.

Now, even a numpty like myself knows that this is just plain wrong.

Is there a specific way this joint and reducer needs to be fitted or am
I missing a vital ingredient that does the job of gripping the 15mm pipe?

Just to recap, I have the following:

22mm plastic pipe with insert
15mm plastic pipe with insert
22mm elbow joint
22x15mm internal reducer

(all purchased from B&Q if that has any bearing on teh situation)

and that's it.

Can anyone help?...My partner really would like to be able to use the
bathroom again this side of Christmas and you just cannot get a plumber
out of bed at short notice for anything less than a fortune at this time
of year.

cheers (and Merry Christmas folks)
Laurence
--
www.reestitmutton.co.uk

Bringing you the best-value mobile phone contract deals in the UK
Presented the way it should be...in plain English