Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Carpet vs hardwood for home sale?

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 23:23:03 -0500, "Ken Korona"
wrote:

I'm planning on selling my home this spring. Currently I'm doing a lot of
work to put it in as good shape as possible. The entire house has hardwood
flooring (common 2 1/2 inch wide oak). Currently the living room, dining
room, and master bedroom are carpeted over the hardwood. The carpet is in
pretty skunky condition, not terribly worn, but very dirty. I've had
carpet cleaners come in and it makes it a little better, but there's still a
lot of stains.

My wife in convinced that hardwood is far and away preferable to most
buyers. Personally, I prefer carpet to hardwood flooring. I realize it is
an individual thing, but are there any stats that say, for example, 75% of
buyers prefer hardwood over carpeting?

The bride is right, as mentioned here before. Check the stats or
trends with your Realtor. I say go with the oak floor - I don't think
they make 'em like that anymore, besides ya don't know what's under
"skunky" carpet except a need for a good cleaning. Your wood floor is
a value on your house now, make is show up in the sale. Forget
allowances, etc. (if it's broke - fix it) IMHO things very much
depend on the buyer and their intentions for the house and we don't
always know that, so you have offers and counter offers. A primary
occupant can enjoy less work in the future if the house needs less
attention. You say "good shape". Would you buy it.. change it... move
in a "turn key" home and enjoy it?

An Investor may simply change the carpeted rooms, lease for years and
deal with it later.

The house is a contemporary ranch, located in central New Jersey, circa
1978, and has a full basement so these floors are not on a slab. Asking
price will be somewhere in the range $450K - $550K.

Asking and getting is what the "right" buyer and the seller are
willing settle and who is motivated the most.

Oren
excused from saving Universes."