Posted to alt.home.repair
Keith

Default reinstall toilet

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 21:42:27 -0600, anoldfart2 wrote:

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 09:22:52 -0500, "JD" wrote:

I have just replacedthe vinyl floor in the bathroom with cement
board/ceramic tile. I easily removed the toilet, but have questions about
the reinstall. I believe I can do it, but am concerned about the wax seal.
The floor is raised above the original by about a half an inch. Can I just
use the same bolts and get a new seal, or is there something more
complicated that needs to be done?
Thanks
JD

If its as much as a half inch, I'd get one of the proper things they
sell to build up the flange. I am not sure of the name, buy most
building supply centers or larger hardware stores sell them.

That's what I did. I raised my bathroom floors about 3/4" (1/2"
hardibacker plus tile) and used one of those plastic spacers to raise
the flange about a 1/2". Amazingly those supposed know-nothings at Home
Depot told me what to do. No leaks. The spacer makes a nice template to
cut the backer and tile, as well as a widget (with an application of duct
tape) to keep stuff from going down into the sewer while the toilet is off.

Two was rings (the top one without the plastic center) might work, but a
half inch is pretty excessive. Why take a chance of wrecking your floor
for under $10.

About $2, IIRC (I bought four for less than $10).

--
Keith