Posted to alt.home.repair
J.C.

Default Kitchen Vent / Roof Issues

"SQLit" wrote in message

"PHPguy" wrote in message
I want to add a roof type kitchen vent. I have a GE NoiseMaker microwave
mounted on top of my gas cooking range. It can vent out. I have decided
to put in ducting going out through the sheetrock ceiling and then out
of the roof. Two holes have to be made:

6inch round duct beng used.

1. 6inch hole in the sheet rock ceiling. (piece of cake .. easy)

2. a hole in the roof directly (about 10 feet) above the ceiling. Roof
is 5/8ich plywood with roofing felt with standard 3-tab asphalt
shingles. Here a vent has to be installed with damper.

Can anyone provide some tips for the 2nd step to prevent leaking after
the vent is installed. Any links to good damper and flashing systems.
Any instruction of how to cut the shngles and any overlapping methods
for the flashing on the vent. Any glues and caulks?

THis vill be done by a contractor.. he is good but he does not have
experience with cutting through the roof and making a vent hole or
hanlding shingles. But with enough care and reading I am sure we can do

it.

Its hard to find contractors here that will just handle this as oppsed
to redoing the wole kitchen.

Any help appreciated!!

I have waited until the roof was warm and then gently pried up the
shingles
that will not be removed. Cut the hole and tar liberally.

I have a sheet metal guy that makes flashings that slide over the pipe.
Like a big roof jack. Tar liberally. Depending on where this goes through
the roof a upstream flashing might be a good idea.

I once installed 8 ceiling fans through a friends flat roof. I had refused
to do the job unit he was ready to do a re-roof. 4 leaked 4 did not. Best
part was one that leaked was on his side of the bed. His wife and I got a
kick out of that.

Silicone caulk, silicone caulk and more silicone caulk.