Posted to alt.home.repair
Thad Smith

Default Can't get the faucet apart

mm wrote:
On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 00:05:41 -0700, Thad Smith
wrote:

The 21 year old bathroom sink is starting to leak. After taking off the

For completeness, out of the spigot or at the base of the handle, or
somewhere else?

Spigot.

decorative faucet handle, I can only see a metal tab (what do you call
that?) to be used to loosen to take the faucet apart. When I tried to
turn CCW that with a small, then large crescent wrench, I applied so
much pressure that I was worried that something would break, but it
hasn't come loose yet.

STop doing that.

I hope I stopped soon enough.

Photos are he
http://home.ionsky.com/~thadsmith/faucet1.jpg
http://home.ionsky.com/~thadsmith/faucet2.jpg

The top metal piece seems to be the only way to take it apart. You can

Do you mean the gold colored piece or the silver one?

The silver one.

see in the photo that it started to warp from the high torque. Do I
keep cranking until something happens (and hope I don't bust something)?

Have you tried to take off the gold cylinder, the one that is pretty
much the only piece showing in picture 2?

First use your hands.

That was the key. The cylinder was pulled up with a little bit of
wiggling. The top nut fooled me, since I thought it was anchored solid,
but internally it slips over the valve stem. I am NOT a pro at this. ;-)

I see that it has a ceramic disk. I have never fiddled with those. I
suppose that's a testament to their reliability. Off to the hardware store!

Thanks for all the help, folks.

--
Thad