Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

Default pine book case? is it a good idea?

"Pawel" wrote in message
So i got my first router and after few plays with making garage shelfs i
want to make a real bookcase.
I was thinking of starting with pine, but am afraid that it may be to soft
to last as a nice bookcase.

I have some made from pine. They are stating to deteriorate after 40 years
and at the rate they are going, they may be completely shot in another 500
years or so. With a coat of urethane maybe I can get ti to 700 years.

Is douglas fir a reasonable compromise? or maybe i can make it with pine
and make surface harder by
finishing. Or shall i take it all in stride and make it from oak: oak
plywood with oak boards for walls and shelf edges. Any advice is welcome.

Oak is nice, Oak plywood with solid wood trim is nice too. Make what you
can afford and afford to screw up on the first try. Build a little
confidence before spending big bucks on wood. There is nothing wrong with
pine and don't let a few wood snobs tell you different.