Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB

Default engineering calculation needed

"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote

I've been watching this College Calculus & Engineering gab-fest
wondering why nobody has suggested a KISS solution - hang a small
chunk of I-beam off the porch beams and rafters, sticking two or three
feet out over the loading area. Possibly with a couple of added
support legs to concrete footings for insurance, or upgrade the area
by adding another post and footing that matches the existing porch
construction. And you can make a hidden gate in the railing so the
loads don't have to go as high.

Use the same hoist for the load but mounted on a roller beam
trolley. Convert the overhanging and swinging loads of that davit arm
system to purely vertical loads of making sure the hoist beam stays
up.

And don't forget a couple of rubber bump stops at the ends for
trolley travel stops, impact loads can cause failure.

A proper use of a davit arm crane is outside where there isn't any
other structure available, and they normally aren't designed for a
support at the top of the post - you transfer all the loads down
through a healthy vertical member to a large footing. You have a very
handy house sitting there - use it.

If you take down the trolley and hoist, all that's visible is the
beam. Ultra Slickness would extend the hoist beam across the porch to
the house wall, and you make a convenient little closet that the hoist
rolls into, with room below for storing the slings straps and spreader
bars. You close a little door and "Presto!" it all disappears.

KISS!

-- Bruce --

When looking at the situation, this is what I came up with. The rafters are
there making the porch covering. It is just that they are notched on their
ends where they sit on the beam, and at the wall where they tie in. So,
they are equivalent to 2x4s. The intended site is about the strongest thing
around to hook on to. Plus, I didn't want an industrial looking I beam
thingus hanging over my porch swing.

Had the thought of cutting the railing, and will do that, but will am
considering replacing current railing with mortise and tenon rough cut
railings. The current is all square cut lumber. I may even do a fancy
Indital panel on that end of the porch complete with swinging section. I
would certainly like to lessen the height that I lift anything to, and that
would cut it down by about three feet.

Believe me, if that beam was supported better, I would have just hitched
onto it, and not had to go to the ground. Did a few lifts of things with
the old rope and pulley trick, but it was hard to get in over the railing
with the lifting point located where it is.

Other thing is that OTHER PEOPLE will be operating this from time to time.
Were it me only, I could come up with something a little simpler. I don't
want anyone who lacks experience from doing a header off the deck rassling
with a load.

I thank all for the continued input. I am being able to really consider
this before final fab and install.

We will be going up there for New Year's Eve if there isn't too much snow,
and we can get in there with 4wd and chains. So, I will have a final look,
beings as we probably can't get in until March without snowshoes. I'm too
old and lazy for that.

Steve