Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

Default Gas fireplace safe to use without vermiculite?

"Greg O" wrote in message
"Joe D." wrote in message
"Toller" wrote in message

I haven't used gas logs, but I have heard that other people have had the
same problem. They have replaced the vermiculite with gasoline-soaked
rags.

Does anybody else have a serious response to the question?

I've done a lot of searches and most references imply or outright
state the main purpose of vermiculite is aesthetic. Is this not correct,
or is there a safety issue?

Often sand or vermiculite is used as the burner itself to dissipate the
gas for a more realistic burn. If your fireplace uses it, it should be
there!
Greg

On the same subject:

Mine originally had cottony-looking pieces that were spread around the
bottom burner and, when in use, looked like burning embers. Anyone know what
THAT would be? I'd like to get some more. The wife was cleaning out the
fireplace and vac'd all of it up. Is THAT vermiculite??