Posted to sci.electronics.repair
larry moe 'n curly

Default NTC 5D-9 Thermistor?

Travis Jordan wrote:

I just saw that CompUSA had an 500W Antec supply for $20 after rebates,
sale good through tomorrow. You might want to get one of these for a
spare or in case the thermistor fails again due to some undetermined
problem. Order it online and you won't even have to drive to a store.
Cheap insurance (but not as much fun as fixing a broken supply!).

http://www.compusa.com/adproducts/pr...0089&Ne=200000

Oops, just noticed that this is a CompUSA branded supply, not an Antec
supply! So buyer beware on that one (although I've installed a few 350W
CompUSA supplies and they worked fine and are still in service after a
few years).

CompUSA PSUs are made by several different companies, some great, like
Win-tact, some awful, like Powmax/Leadman, and their supplier told me
that the brand can change from week to week.

OTOH if you need a good source for a replacement PS in the future I'd
recommend these guys.

http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Ca...sp?Category=32

Raidmax is now supposedly OK and is made by Topower, the same company
that makes Aspire, OCZ, and Tagen. Topower's quality varies, but I
believe that the Raidmaxes are made from the better models. Still, I'd
probably rather buy a Fortron-Source, which can be as little as $40-50
for a 400-450W model.

I have a very well-built OEM PC PSU that has two thermistors, one for
each AC line. One thermistor is fairly large, the other only half its
diameter. What's the purpose of using two different sizes like this?