Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

Default GMB Union

In article ,
The Wanderer wrote:
I came into close contact with shop stewards from other unions, and
without exception found them to be conscientious and hard-working
individuals, who were committed to the proper governance of the industry
as well as the welfare of the people they represented. That the ESI had
an excellent record in terms of industrial relations may have had a not
inconsiderable bearing on the quality of the people who undertook this
quite onerous task. (My employer sent me - as a Union rep - on a course
about employment law run by The Industrial Society)

My experience too. But most union bashers have never been in a union, or
had any close dealings with them. Their views are based on meja coverage,
and the meja is not known for giving a balanced view. Indeed, some of the
most appalling work practices were positively encouraged by management in
the newspaper industry - and TV - when it suited them in the 'good times'.
Then when competition ended their cosy near monopolies it was the unions
who were to blame...

--
*Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.