Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Segmented/Stave Lighthouse...

Very nice Kevin, you can tell you put a lot of time in it. I'm assuming
the light spins around and it plays music from the land of the midnight
sun. George Troy

Kevin Miller wrote:
Just posted my latest in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking and also on
my web site in http://www.alaska.net/~atftb/lighthouse. I've been
working on it now and again for over a year! Easily sidetracked I
guess. g

It's about 28" high, give or take. Woods used a

Yellow cedar burl: base
chakte kok (redheart)
cherry
cocobolo
mahagony
purpleheart
maple
walnut
coffee grounds/CA glue (decorative strip in the top)
1/8" brass rod

I finished it with Formby's Tung Oil Finish

Going to sit on it for the winter, probably take it down to the store I
sell through next summer. I'm already thinking/planning the next one.

The fixture is rated to 75 watts, but I only put a 5 watt nightlight
bulb in it. I tried a 25 watt candleabra bulb, which didn't seem to be
a problem, but there's virtualy no heat with the nightlight bulb. It's
more a romance light than a reading light anyway, so brightness isn't
mandatory.

Enjoy...

...Kevin
--